Our partner project from iRights e.V., “The new consumers”, celebrated its closing event and discussion on 19th of June 2018.
Refugees face many challenges. On the one hand there are a lot of bureaucratic barriers when it comes to the asylum procedures and on the other hand it is hard to get along in a new totally new and unfamiliar environment.
Ther are many other difficult situations in everyday consumers’ lifes, for example organizing one’s communication, signing contracts and taking part in social life. Meaningfully designed consumer protection can make a significant contribution to integration and digital consumer information becomes more and more important.
But how do these offers have to be designed so that refugees can use them adeqautely? What special needs do refugees have as consumers? Which actors are responsible and where can we work together?
A report about the event will follow shortly.
Moderation: Sophie Passmann
17.00 – Inlet
18.00 – Welcome
Philipp Otto, Project Manager “The New Consumers”, Director iRights e.V.
Gerd Billen, State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection
18:15 – The new consumers
Project presentation and project results
18.30 – Keynote
On the situation of the refugees / chances of integration
18.45 – Panel discussion
Participation through consumer protection – How does digital integration work?
• Israa Alsasa, Ambassador “The New Consumers”
• Gerd Billen, State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection
• Fiona Krakenbürger, Programm-Managerin Prototype Fund, Open Knowledge Foundation
• Ingmar Streese, Head of Consumer Policy, Federation of German Consumer Organizations e.V.
• Annette Widmann-Mauz, Minister of State, Federal Commissioner for Migration, Refugees and Integration (requested)
19.45 – Audience questions
20.00 – Get together with dinner buffet
The project “The New Consumers” is funded by the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection (BMJV). The carrier is the non-profit iRights e.V.